The First One

Hello beautes! Yesterday was my mom and my first wedding together as Posies and Poms. Most of you don't know but we've been doing weddings for a while. My mother has such amazing talent oozing out of her, that every friend and family member has asked her to do flowers for all their big events for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until after we did my wedding together that I realized, we needed to start making money at this, and voila, Posies was born.

Back to our first wedding as an official business... On Wednesday I woke up and put on a pretty floral dress. We've been planning for this day for a while and I knew what I needed to do. I woke up feeling like it was my first day of kindergarten, I was so excited to start my life as an official florist. I got up, put on my pretty dress and off I went to the wholesale floral warehouse in Denver. When I arrived, I was like a kid in a candy shop. FLOWERS EVERYWHERE. Our shipment was ready for me when I arrived. It didn't take long to check over everything and ask them to box it up so I could take these beauties home and introduce them to each other in bouquets.

When I got home, I assumed the 10 buckets would be sufficient for keeping all our flowers hydrated while we arranged them. After getting about 6 buckets in, I changed from my dress to yoga pants and an oversized T (maxis and puddles of water on the ground don't mix) and realized that I'd be needing more buckets since there were 2.5 out of the 5 boxes left, still full of flowers. I made a trip to Lowes, and continued taking flowers out of boxes and putting them in buckets. This took me ALL. DAY. I went to bed that night realizing two things: 1 - Since my bathtub was filled to the brim with hydrangea, I will be needing a work shop, and 2 - looking cute for grunt work was massively overrated.

The next day, my radiant mother came and started putting hydrangea, garden roses, babies breath and several other beautiful flowers together. She is an amazing teacher and within an hour, I was right alongside her creating bouquets and centerpieces. While we assembled, we watched sappy movies and had sweet conversation. Working with that woman is one of my life's greatest blessings. Everything was smooth-sailing until the day of the wedding. After dropping off the bride's bouquet, all corsages and boutonnieres, I got a call from the MOH telling me that the corsages were supposed to be wristlets and that two of the mothers wouldn't be able to pin the ones we'd made on their dresses. At that moment, 2 hours before the wedding, my mom and I scrambled to put together some wristlet corsages, and I'll say, they turned out pretty great!

Once we got everything loaded, we headed on over to Three Trees Chapel, where we would have only an hour to set up before guests started arriving. My mom and I were so nervous about this because there was a garland piece we'd made to be attached to a seating chart the Mother of the Groom (our client) had made. Now, we knew this piece would fit, but we weren't sure the garland wouldn't topple it over. Once we arrived, I started away at bringing in the centerpieces and votives and my mom got straight to work on the garland piece. After 30 minutes (what were we worried about time for?) I was finished, so I headed upstairs to see how the garland was going. As you can see below, all our worries were needless and that piece turned out better than we could have ever imagined!

After getting that guy figured out, we looked around and took it all in. Our work was done. I hugged my mom, kissed her on the cheek and thanked her endlessly for her help. She left and I stayed because on top of doing the flowers, I was also attending this wedding. Once I sat down for the ceremony, I entered full guest mode and the rest of the night was spent drinking wine and dancing the night away with my man and our friends.

This wedding is in the books and it was a success! You've just heard all about my experience and since we're starting out, I'll be continuing to share little tips I've learned along the way. Stay tuned for better pictures along with Tina and Brian's story in a few weeks!

Stay classy -- Jackie